Friday, January 24, 2014

The Scarf

     My dearly beloved brother, Peter aka Joe, bought me a scarf in Thailand or one of those countries he visited when he was over in Taiwan. (He couldn't quite remember where he got it.) It's lovely with big chunky stitches, small sequins tastefully placed, and it's a nice tan color that goes with a lot. The only thing is, it's rather large. By large, I mean large. I'm not that big of a person. At least height wise. Width wise is debatable. Anyway, moving on...

     Sheer intimidation and a tinge of laziness had kept me trying out the Pete's gift this year, but after a fruitful trip to Goodwill, I was feeling ready to take on The Scarf. I had just purchased a tan and white striped shirt that it would go well with, so I tried it on.

     "Kinda looks like a yoke," Mom said when I wrapped it around my neck twice. Kinda felt like a yoke too. I'm pretty sure I could have lost my cell phone in there or maybe a small sandwich.

     I fiddled and fumbled with The Scarf but couldn't come up with a good way for me to still be visible underneath it. That's when I brought Joe onto the scene.

    In my opinion, Joe is the expert on tying things. He looks up websites and youtube videos on how to tie scarves and ties, and then he applies his knowledge to his own wardrobe or helps others' with theirs as was the case this particular day.

     He wrapped and fiddled and finally got The Scarf downsized enough for me to look out and for my shirt to be seen underneath it. We were headed in the right direction.

     I decided to wear it to Defiance to have coffee with a friend, and after awhile, I began to realize my neck was hurting. The Scarf just kept on giving because on the way home, my lap felt really warm and I looked down to see that The Scarf had pooled on my legs, acting as an insulating blanket. Let's just say that if Sweet Char had gotten stuck in the ditch that night, I would have been nice and toasty and had room for two more adults and one small child.
     
     As the cold winter continues, more adventures with The Scarf might be inevitable.

1 comment: